Virtual event series with The Alzheimer’s Association kicks off Feb. 17
Rolla and Farmington Presbyterian Manors are joining forces to partner with the Alzheimer’s Association Greater Missouri Chapter to host a virtual event series throughout 2021. The series is part of the Just Ask Lifelong Learning events offered by Presbyterian Manor of Mid-America (PMMA) communities. They cover informative topics in categories such as property and planning, health and wellness, and general education. PMMA continually strives to be a trusted resource in senior living, which is why the Just Ask Lifelong Learning series was born.
“We are here to serve our residents — but we’re also here to help members of the broader community who may have questions about senior living and senior-related issues. This past year has presented many challenges with one being the ability to host on-site educational events. It made sense to partner with an organization like the Alzheimer’s Association to continue offering resources like live, virtual webinars,” said Jennifer McClanahand, senior regional director of sales and marketing for PMMA.
According to the Alzheimer’s Association website, 50 million people are living with Alzheimer's and other dementias worldwide. Alzheimer’s disease is a degenerative brain disease and the most common form of dementia. Dementia is not a specific disease but an overall term that describes a group of symptoms.
The first virtual event, “Understanding Alzheimer’s and Dementia,” will kick off on February 17 at 3 p.m. through the Zoom videoconferencing platform. The series will continue on the third Wednesday of each month at 3 p.m. through November 2021 with special recognition of Alzheimer’s Awareness month. Details of the concluding event will be announced by mid-summer.
Here is a complete list of upcoming dates and topics:
- 3 p.m. Feb. 17: Understanding Alzheimer’s and Dementia
- 3 p.m. March 17: 10 Warning Signs of Alzheimer’s
- 3 p.m. April 21: Healthy Living for Your Brain and Body: Tips from the Latest Research
- 3 p.m. May 19: Effective Communication Strategies
- 3 p.m. June 16: Legal and Financial Planning for Alzheimer’s Disease
- 3 p.m. July 21: Understanding and Responding to Dementia-Related Behavior
- 3 p.m. August 18: Dementia Conversations – Driving, Doctor Visits, Legal & Financial Planning
- 3 p.m. September 15: Living with Alzheimer’s: For Caregivers – Early Stage
- 3 p.m. October 20: Living with Alzheimer’s: For Caregivers – Late Stage
- November: Alzheimer’s Awareness Month – a special recognition event to be announced
For more information or to register for an upcoming event, visit RollaPresbyterianManor.org/events-activities.
If you have questions about memory care services or attending a virtual webinar using your phone or device, please call Joelle Freeland at 573-364-7336 for assistance.